Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Nutrition

On Saturday, Brian and I were tasked with the difficult task of grocery shopping to please our fellow travel group with a balanced, nutritious foods (as recommended by the U.S. government) for Sunday’s breakfast and lunch. The catch, we had $4.50 from each person to simulate the average amount a person receives through food stamps daily. Brian and I worked diligently to find portions sizes and recommended servings per day of each food group to meet the government’s advised balanced plate. I consider myself a people-pleaser, so after creating a list of groceries, we thought met both nutrition and price point, we allowed the whole group to tell s what they liked and what they didn’t on the future menu. Come Sunday, when grocery shopping was all said and done, both breakfast and lunch were a hit—with everyone feeling full and even leaving some food leftover! With a group of fourteen of us, it was pretty easy to get feedback about the foods everyone wanted and were in need of nutritionally-speaking. However, the first site visit I went to four service learning project showed me just how more inefficient the food distribution system is for the organizations serving those struggling in poverty.
            Jan Hus, a church my team visited as our first site visit on Monday, does a load of different services for those experiencing homelessness including a meal service, a clothing closet, street outreach, and a food pantry. My first task, as I was led down the staircase by our point-person from the church, Jordan, was to help down in the food pantry with shipments. Little did Jordan know, as my partner Sam and I were walking in to start our job, we would be learning so much more than by just doing.
            A 78-year-old man and a member of the church named Hank let Sam and I in on some news, “Well,” started Hank, “it doesn’t look like we got any shipments in today.” As we walked into the small food pantry, he led us into a corner and leaned on a shelving unit filled with many different types of food. The food pantry was much smaller than I was used to, even smaller than the one I worked in in my rural Iowan hometown. I asked Hank how many people were served at their facility. He said there were 2,500-3,000 people they assisted through the food pantry and the meal service (an equivalent to half the population in my hometown).
            Because the nature of our task was no longer needed based on the lack of a shipment to unpack, Hank took the time to tell us about his experience both in life and about his work at the church. Hank mentioned he was once a veteran and later on became a county judge, but at some point started struggling with an addiction to cocaine which landed him in prison a couple times. After his incarceration, he could no longer find work and soon found himself in the midst of homelessness. Now that he ran the food pantry, he knew the food distribution system and the problems within it.
            What I gained most from Hank (because I learned a lot) was the lack of communication between the church and the organizations who donated food to the pantry. “You see these juice boxes,” Hank said as he acknowledged the odd assortment of food to be given to those living on the streets, “these are not nearly big enough.” Regarding the quantity of boxes he’d have to give one of their clientele to meet their needs and nutrition. He also mentioned that they receive gallons upon gallons of canned peaches and spinach, yet the food bank never gave them sliced bread.

            Looking at both struggles Hank had in homelessness and running operations for the church’s food pantry, I realized that the resources trying to help by donating food were not running it nearly effectively as they could be. Regarding the grocery shopping experience and how successful Brian and I were at meeting the needs of our team, I wondered why the services filling the food pantries, especially through tax payer dollars, were not succeeding. First, Hank and I both mentioned communication barriers a few times—mainly that those who give do not ask the needs of those they are giving to—they just give. Which, while well intentioned, just produces a lot of wasted or unutilized items. Second, the people who give do not have enough knowledge about those the service organization is serving. In the case of Jan Hus, there were many canned goods that just sit on their shelves for months because many of their clientele do not have access to a can opener. Finally, Hank and I had a light conversation over politics, and while I may not have agreed with many of his views, we both agreed on this: the divisiveness between political parties, race, gender, etcetera has not helped—especially in the case of churches and other private bodies. Hank mentioned five other local churches who hosted weekly meals and clothing closets, but NONE of them worked together. When Abraham Lincoln said, “A house divided against itself cannot stand,” I had no clue his words would ever ring true to churches and for other services trying to meet the needs of those who are homeless. Maybe Brian and I got it right in our grocery shopping strategy for our group of fourteen people, but much more will have to be done to fix these roadblocks for Jan Hus church.

No comments:

Post a Comment