Saturday, January 17, 2015

Thanks for The Memories

Last night, after another delay, our plane set down in Des Moines as we were welcomed by various people waiting in the deserted airport. With my first five hours of flying behind me, first trip to New York city completed, and my suitcase unpacked I can now say it has been a life changing experience. This upcoming week we will be volunteering at Bidwell Riverside, before we look forward, lets look back.

In mine and some others entries, which have been written, the issue of rationing has been disscussed. You have heard my story of what happened when I had to tell someone no. Realizing that rationing is important, because I believe that it is better to provide everyone with a moderate amount than a couple with a supreme amount. When I think of this I think of a sports team which is full of decent players compared to one which has one or two stars on it. This is because if you do not ration those who need food may not get it, if you do it unproportionately. There are some people who need clothes for interviews, some who need food for survival, and some who need both. There is simply not enough manpower to distribute these goods let alone enough manpower to distribute it. Let's change the tone for a second.

This blog is filled with facts and experience, many of which are depressing or discuss the issue. Poverty is an an incredibly large issue as exemplified by this trip. I challenge you to see what we are doing right as there is a lot happening. This past week I have been able to see first hand the dedicated, overworked, and low paid workers which are helping to battle this crisis. There are churches congregating and a mountainous number of organizations dedicated to solving this problem. The range is from helping those survive to changing legislation within the government.

Poverty is something which affects us all in our everyday life regardless of whether you live in a city or suburbs. The poverty rate in suburbs is skyrocketing as I have seen it myself. These "homeless" are still people and a lot of times they will not have any social capital to fall back on. That is why the programs which we have volunteered at and discussed are incredibly important.

The day before our group left NYC we volunteered at a once a week soup kitchen. The staff and people who came; sung and danced while serving food, overall just enjoying themselves. It was an amazing site to see as many of the people who came, come every week and sit at the same tables. It is the same concept as once a week bingo. It provides a commonality and something to look forward to; seeing your best friends. Social Capital can help give them a push to understand a conversation or nail a job interview. These places provide more than just food: they provide an atmosphere in which they can thrive. It is a relief to a weeks worth of survival and an outlet of stress as it is a consistent place where anyone can get food, clothing, and a social atmosphere. They provide people with a balanced bag to take home, or do their best to do so, which allows their guests to learn about what a balanced meal is.

I think of this past year, how rough it has been, and how I may not be where I am because of my friends, family. I think of how my life would have been changed without my family or friends, but I just can not imagine. These people in my life are my driving force and I love them all.

After a week, I have realized I must do something. Not just me though, us the millennial, must do something to curb this. Awareness and activism was preached, especially as a report came out claiming Iowa wants to close two out of it's four mental health institutions. As a nation, we love to do soup kitchens, but hate politics. We want to solve poverty, but struggle with what to do. I plan to rally this upcoming semester, raise awareness, and influence the legislative process. I will consistently continue to volunteer with those organizations and persons which are affected by poverty.

Going into New York and before the class I believed it was the persons fault. The vicious cycle of the financial cliff and the drug addiction can affect a persons life. No matter how driven they are, both of these are vicious cycles which can derail a persons attempt at getting out of poverty. It is the system that is hurting the people, not the person. There are exceptions, but when a person is on the street I challenge you not to judge them. I challenge you to make personal contact with them and treat them as they were you. I challenge you to part way with a dollar as that can provide a meal for them. I challenge you to destroy your preconceptions about those in poverty just as I have. Throughout our readings one thing has been made clear, we need to question the way the government works. We need to be an active citizen and fully live up to what Drake expects of us. We will be able to help this cause with volunteering once a week. I plan to do just that.

All you have to give up is just one hour a week, to continue the fight against poverty. Consistency is key. The way I have viewed those in poverty has changed, the way I look at homeless on the street has changed, and the way I see myself conducting myself around them has changed. My definition of poverty has changed.

I would just like to say: this trip was the trip of my life. It was the first time I flew. It was the first time I was in New York. I can say it will not be the last. YSOP was an amazing organization to work with and very worthwhile experiences were had. On every trip or self reflection I do, I try to take something out of it and apply it to myself. I was touched by how little these people had and how they were just surviving. There were so many times, this past year, I took food and didn't eat it. I have taken what I have for-granted in my life and it is so nice to have that humbling experience once in a while. I struggled with my uncomfortably due to my privilege, being in college and all, which I will continue to work on and give back to the community. That is my pledge. I challenge you to do the same. Find an organization or contact me for help, because poverty is not going away any time soon. You may have more questions than answers. Everyone can make a difference in the fight against poverty in their own unique way.

Til' my next blog, toodles.

PS I have created a youtube video about the trip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Btwyf0Lp-5o




No comments:

Post a Comment